Call for Research Grants Selection Committee Members
The Government of Georgia anticipates financing from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) (hereinafter the Bank) for a National Innovation Ecosystem (GENIE) Project in the amount of 23 million US dollars. The main objective of the GENIE Project is to increase innovative activities of firms and individuals in Georgia and their participation in the digital economy. The Project will enhance Georgia`s national innovation ecosystem through an integrated approach across three components, plus project implementation support.
The Applied Research Grants Program (ARGP) is a part of the GENIE Project implemented by the Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation of Georgia (SRNSFG), which is the Legal Entity of Public Law operating under the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of Georgia (MoESCS). The mandate of the Foundation is to issue the state grants for funding scientific research and the mission of the Foundation is to support the development of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) system in Georgia. For this purpose, SRNSFG administers various programs, national and international bilateral/joint grant calls for supporting Georgian scientists based on the open competition principles.
The main objective of the ARGP, as part of the GENIE Project, is to increase innovative activities of applied research projects with a focus on supporting young scientists in Georgia and to encourage their collaboration with the private sector. To support research teams composed with academia and private sector representatives to have access on scientific-research facilities and business environment at the same time. To support young researchers advanced research and transferable skills enhancement. The ARGP is financed with the amount of US$3 million.
Objectives: In order to select winner projects all proposals submitted within the frame of the ARGP call have to be evaluated through two stages: the first stage is peer-review evaluation and the second stage is evaluation by the selection committee (SC).
The objectives of the assignment is, the consultant as a member of the SC, a decision-making body established by the Client for the Applied Research Grants Program (ARGP), to contribute in decision making of awarding ARGP grants to selected applicants by providing its expertise, while preserving highest standard of integrity and not allowing bias.
The SC member shall provide support the SRNSFG based on the following core task areas:
- The SC member will receive proposal presentations from all applicants and the applicants should be ready to answer any questions or provide supplementary information if requested by the SC member.
- Based on the presentations and all relevant supporting information, the SC shall make the recommendation to the Client regarding financing of applications.
- The SC should provide SRNSFG with comments/scores for the presentations. The comments have to be clear and have to justify scores assigned according to each criteria.
- The SRNSFG will set up the online platform that will provide all information and documentation related to the assessment exercise as well as support the process throughout all its phases.
- Each SC member shall participate in SC meeting. The SC has to draw the list of selected applications during a Selection Committee meeting.
Location Timeframe and Duration: SC member are expected to allocate five business days for SC meetings which shall be held online, remotely.
One business day is to review proposals and make decision which of them will move to the second stage of evaluation. Estimated date for online SC meeting is on June 15, 2020.
Three business days to receive proposal presentations from applicants, score and evaluate. Estimated date for online SC meeting are on June 22-24, 2020.
One business day to draw the list of selected proposals for financing in compliance with the call budget grant winners. Estimated date for online SC meeting is on June 25, 2020.
Assignment is expected to commence on June 15, 2020.
Georgia`s Innovation & Technology Agency (GITA) now invites eligible individual consultants ("Consultants") to express their interest in providing the Services. The Consultant shall have the required qualification and experience, which will be evaluated with following criteria:
- Demonstrated academic leadership experience: holder of PhD or equivalent academic degree, and at least 7 years of international experience in research management, or
- At least 5 years of international experience in evaluation and verification of scientific-research projects with commercial potential, or
- At least 5 years of international experience in leadership positions in innovative business or investment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English language.
Interested eligible candidates must provide information demonstrating that they are qualified to perform the services and are invited to submit their CV (Curriculum Vitae) in English, which shall include the following information: education background, employment records, description of similar assignments carried out, relevant skill sets, etc.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank`s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"), setting forth the World Bank`s policy on conflict of interest. The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the method for Selection of Individual Consultant (IC) set out in WB`s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank`s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"), setting forth the World Bank`s policy on conflict of interest.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at Georgia`s Innovation & Technology Agency, email: email@example.com.
Expression of interest accompanied with CV in English shall be submitted to the email address indicated below not later than May 22, 2020 13:00 hours local time (GMT +4)
Att: Avtandil Kasradze, Chairman
7, Innovation str. 0114, TechPark, Okrokana, Tbilisi, Georgia
Tel: +995 591016716
Please include the title of the announced position in the email subject line